Information about volunteering at the Inn
Our dedicated staff and volunteers are passionate about assisting guests on their journey and we’ve had the pleasure of helping many to find hope through a supportive, non-judgmental and secure environment. The Inn has an active list of 250 volunteers. The majority of our volunteers work directly in the winter shelter, however, volunteers also participate at the Farmers’ Market in Newmarket and the Coldest Night of the Year event.
Volunteers must attend a training session before being scheduled for shelter shifts. Volunteers must also ensure that they have applied for the Police Vulnerable Sector Check who intend on working with vulnerable individuals.
Become a volunteer at IFTC
Our volunteers play an important role at the shelter, helping our staff deliver the services to our guests. Join our over 250 volunteers who donate their time by helping keep IFTC a warm, clean and safe place for the homeless and those at risk in our community.
Due to COVID-19 Training dates are subject to change
For updates contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
Space is limited - registration is required
Volunteer Training Dates: 2020 - 2021 Shelter Season
- Wednesday September 2nd 7-9pm
- Monday October 5th 7-9pm
- Wednesday October 21st 7-9pm - session full
- Saturday November 7th 10am-12pm - session full
- Saturday November 21st 10am-12pm
- Saturday December 12th 10am-12pm
- Saturday January 16th 10am-12pm
- Saturday February 13th 10am-12pm
- Saturday March 6th 10am-12pm
There are two shifts: 6:00 AM- 8:30 AM and 7:00 PM- 11:00 PM, 7 days a week from November to mid-April.
Note: you must be over 18 years of age to volunteer.
How to register as a volunteer
- Register online
- E-mail us at: email@example.com to let us know your area of interest.
- Obtain a “Vulnerable Sector Screening Check” from York Region Police.
- Watch the AODA video –mandatory training requirement of York Region (about 20 minutes).
- Watch the AED HeartStart Training Video
- Sign up for one of our volunteer training sessions. - the 2020-2021 training schedule will be posted shortly.
Volunteers must be 18 years of age and are required to attend a training session in advance. For more information, contact Martha at 905 895-8889 ext 221 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org