In response to COVID-19 the shelter season has been extended to May 31, 2020
Seasonal Shelter Program
The seasonal shelter is open to homeless men and women over the age of 16 who have need of shelter during the winter. We open on November 4th, 2019 and close on the morning of April 6th, 2020. Hours are 7:00 PM to 8:00 AM, 7 days a week.
- 7 pm - 8 pm intake
- 7:30 pm dinner
- 7:30 pm showers
- 11 pm lights out
- Meals - including a hot dinner, breakfast & a takeaway lunch
- Clothing (supplied as needed)
- Laundry facilities
- Shower facilities
- Sleeping facilities - including bedding and a pillow
- Voicemail services available
- Access to housing workers, mental health workers, and case managers
- 2 men's sleeping rooms which accommodates up to 28 men
- 1 women's sleeping room which accommodates up to 8 women
Note: We do not provide rooms for couples - couples are accepted if they agree to sleep separately.
- No personal items will be allowed beyond the check-in room
- Unclaimed items will be discarded within 24 hours of sign out
- Must demonstrate good behaviour at all times
- Must stay in the designated areas once signed in
- voicemail voice mail and internet services are available.
- Must check in all electronic items by 11 pm
- Registered service animals are allowed
- No outside food may be consumed at IFTC
- Must be 16 years or older
Note: Minors are welcome at IFTC. However, it is our legal obligation to notify others of your stay if you are under the age of 16.
- Will be treated with dignity
- Privacy will be protected
Shelter staff and volunteers
Inn From the Cold is operated by staff and volunteers. Currently, our work is supported by 200 volunteers who work with staff to deliver the Shelter Program. On-site partners include; LOFT Street Outreach, CMHA, The Krasman Centre, and York Region Homelessness Community Programs Outreach Workers, ensuring that their services are easily accessible.
If you have questions or need help, we encourage you to contact us today. We would be glad to assist you in any way we can.
Funded in part by The Regional Municipality of York