Inn From the Cold winter shelter service
Our winter shelter is open to homeless men and women over the age of 16 who have need of shelter during the winter. We will be open in November, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 AM, 7 days a week thru to the end of March. Depending on weather conditions and funding, the decision to remain open an extra week or two in April is also considered. Guests may arrive between 6:00 PM and 11:00 PM each night. There are no reservations.
- Showers until 11:00pm
- Clean Clothes
- Warm, safe place to sleep
- Health and social worker available
- Voicemail Service available
Between 2010 and 2015, IFTC has accommodated over 8925 guests during the winter season. We take pride in ensuring not only cleanliness and safety but our guests also receive the following services during their stay with us:
- Meals - including a hot supper, breakfast & a take-away lunch made to order
- Clothing (supplied as needed)
- Laundry facilities
- Shower facilities
- Sleeping facilities - including bedding and a pillow
- 2 rooms which can accommodate up to 20 men
- 1 room which can accommodate up to 8 women
Note: We do not provide couples rooms - couples are accepted if they agree to sleep separately.
Shelter rules summary
- No personal items will be allowed beyond the check-in room
- Unclaimed items will be discarded within 24 hours of sign out
- Guests must exhibit good behaviour at all times
- Guests must stay in the designated areas once signed in
- Access to voice mail and internet service is available.
- Guests must check in all electronic items by 11pm
- Registered service animals are allowed
- No outside food may be consumed at IFTC
- Guests must be 16 years or older
Note: Minors are welcome at IFTC. However, it is our legal obligation to notify others of your safety if you are under the age of 16.
- Guests will be treated with dignity
- Guests privacy will be protected
Shelter service staff and volunteers
Our organization is run by both paid and unpaid staff. This includes an Assistant Shelter Manager as well as two support staff for overnight shifts. We are also supported by over 250 volunteers during the season who work in two shifts, from either 7:30 PM to 11:30 PM or 6:00 AM to 8:30 AM. Our volunteers work with staff to deliver the Shelter Program to our guests. Referrals to our community partners ensure that our guests receive the support they may require.
If you have questions or need help, we encourage you to contact us today. We would be glad to assist you in any way we can.
Funded in part by The Regional Municipality of York